Oceans 5 is a member of the Shark Conservation Fund (SCF), which is a philanthropic collaboration with Paul G. Allen Family Foundation, Paul M Angell Foundation, Helmsley Charitable Trust, Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, and Moore Charitable Foundation. The SCF is focused on halting the overexploitation of the world’s sharks and rays, reversing declines, restoring populations, and preventing extinctions.
Sharks and rays represent one of the oldest and most diverse group of animals on earth. These cartilaginous fish play important ecological, cultural and economic roles in our oceans and coastal communities. One quarter of all shark and ray species are threatened with extinction and millions are killed annually for their fins, meat, leather, liver and gills. This crisis represents a growing threat to the health and well-being of the oceans and the billions of people that rely on them for food and employment.
The SCF recognizes that major investments are needed in conservation science, policy, advocacy, communications, and capacity-building to reduce mortality of sharks and rays and ensure their recovery, and sustainable management. Its objectives are to:
● Ensure the protection for the most endangered sharks and rays.
● Ensure that targeted shark and ray fisheries are sustainable.
● Reduce shark and ray bycatch in fisheries where they are not the target.
● Utilize marine protected areas to protect shark and ray aggregations, nurseries, and other essential habitats.
● Reduce demand in key global markets for shark and ray products.
● Ensure transparent and regulated global trade in shark and ray product